Saturday 17 May 2008

What they want...

It's been about a week since I announced the Procedural Content Generation wiki, and it has had a few visitors already (350 or so) - thanks to whomever added the site to stumbleupon.com. When I first started, I expect the most popular parts of the site to be the list of articles on procedural content generation and related references but I should have known better. What it appears that people want is lists. Specifically, lists of what games feature procedural content. I've been adding to that list today to try to fill it out a bit, but I'm open to suggestions as to what is missing. I know the majority of roguelikes use procedural content generation, and you're welcome to create an account and add those in, but I don't want the wiki in general to replace the already excellent resource RogueBasin.

So what other games feature procedural content generation that I'm missing off the list? In particular, note that the game can have content generated procedurally in the level designer - it doesn't have to occur at run time. So any games featuring SpeedTree for instance are good candidates. But at the same time, I don't particularly want to include games that use procedural generation for things like graphics and textures.

Also, anyone particularly interested in cellular automata: there is definitely a place in the site for you.

No comments: